The original name for these was Nutella Ravioli cookies, but that just didn’t sound right to me, so I gave them a cheesy new name instead. These cookies were a bit of an adventure. I started them waaay too late at night, for starters. I used the sugar cookie recipe from Culinary Concoctions by Peabody which I had to scale down – and eventually discovered was the same as Betty Crocker! After making and chilling the dough, I started to roll it out and cut it into circles with the top of a glass. When I tried to move the dough or fold it at all, it would just crack. So when I started putting the filling in… well, they just looked awful and a mess. I ended up having to cut each circle in half and just gently press it down on all sides around the nutella.
So with low expectations I put them in the oven and moved on to making something else in case they didn’t come out. But when they came out of the oven, all the cracks had sealed and they actually looked quite nice! Plus a little chocolate drizzle on top always classes things up a bit 🙂 And they were a big hit with all my usual taste testers!
Nutella Surprise Cookies
Adapted from Culinary Concoctions by Peabody
4 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1 lb, 8 oz unsalted butter, softened
1 TBSP vanilla extract
7 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 TBSP baking soda
1 TBSP cream of tartar
1/2 cup Nutella spread
chocolate chips and white chocolate chips for drizzling
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Cream the powdered sugar and butter for at least 3 minutes. Add the eggs one at a time and scrape down the bowl after each egg. Add vanilla and mix for 2 more minutes.
- Mix in the flour, baking soda and cream of tartar while mixer is on slow speed. Mix till you have a smooth dough. Chill for a few hours.
- Roll out cookie dough to about a 1/4 inch thickness.
- Using a cookie cutter or a glass dipped in flour, cut out rounds.
- Spoon about 1/2 teaspoon of Nutella into the center of each round.
- Fold rounds over to create half moon shapes and gently seal edges.
- Place on an ungreased cookie sheet and bake for 9-10 minutes.
- Remove to racks and cool completely.
- When cookies are completely cooled, melt chocolate chips in microwave (about 1 minute.)
- Remove and using a fork, drizzle chocolate over cookies.