I love you. I do. I’m pretty sure you exist now, compared to a year ago when only my mom read my posts. I love hearing feedback from people who have read my blog. I mean, I get to look at all these treats right in my kitchen, so the whole point of doing this is to share with you!
So I baked you these heart scones. Why? Because I love you. And because I want to meet you. I want to know you are real! I want to give you everything you ever wanted. Do you wish I made only vegan desserts? Would you like to see me make a three-tier cake made out of doughnuts? Leave a comment and tell me what you want! This is all about you, baby.
Hey, if I don’t hear back from you, I won’t be too sad. Like I said, my mom thinks I’m GREAT!
I <3 You Scones
Adapted from Pinch My Salt
2 cups all purpose flour
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into small chunks
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 large egg
1/3 cup milk chocolate chips, chopped up a bit
heavy cream (optional, for brushing tops of scones)
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk or sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, soda and salt. Add butter chunks and toss lightly with flour; place bowl in fridge.
3. In a small bowl, whisk together egg, buttermilk, and lemon zest; place bowl in fridge.
4. Get organized: measure out and chop the cranberries; set aside. Line a baking sheet with parchment or a silpat; set aside. Lightly dust a counter top with flour. Pour a little bit of heavy cream in a bowl and have a pastry brush handy.
5. Remove bowls of flour and buttermilk from fridge. Cut butter into flour with a pastry blender or rub together with your fingertips until it resembles coarse crumbs. Add cranberries and stir to combine.
6. Add buttermilk mixture all at once to flour mixture and stir until the mixture clumps together. Dump mixture out onto floured counter top and, with floured hands, gather into a ball and knead once or twice to combine everything. Pat into a circle about 1/2 inch thick. Cut into 8 slices, like a pie, or cut with biscuit or cookie cutters into whatever shape you prefer. Put scones on lined baking sheet and brush lightly with heavy cream (optional).
7. Bake in a preheated 425 degree oven for 13-15 minutes until lightly browned. Remove to cooling rack.